– A Great Option
Online education has become, in the eyes of many, the future of education. More colleges than ever are offering excellent online options to their students and it’s very easy to see why. Online learning offers convenience, lower costs on commute and even in tuition in some cases, and still provides a very deep education. There are plenty of schools out there, but Khan Academy has quickly carved out a name for itself. If you’re trying to determine just where you should turn for online education, there are plenty of reasons that Khan Academy is a good choice. Here are nine of the best reasons that it is.
- It’s Free – This is the obvious one. All of the videos and lectures available on Khan Academy can be accessed for free. Several notable groups and individuals have made contributions to this non-profit organization and it continues to gather donations from various sources.
- It’s Deep – There are more than 3,200 micro lectures available through Khan Academy right now, covering nearly every major field you can think of. You’ll find math, healthcare, finance, history, economics, organic chemistry, art history, computer science, and much more here, all covered through great micro lecture videos.
- It’s Easy to Use – The website is set up with accessibility in mind, and it’s a snap to navigate to any type of video you want to find. You can search for specific videos or browse by category. Simply put, its simplicity is a huge benefit to its overall design and one that most find a welcome change from convoluted online classroom designs.
- It’s Flexible – While you won’t actually earn degrees yet (that’s being worked on), what you can do is maser a huge amount of information whenever you need it. Instead of having to adhere to specific schedules or deadlines you can use Khan Academy whenever you want, however you want. There are also no hours, so you can learn whenever you like. In short, you can tailor your experience to fit your needs.
- No Prerequisites – Similarly, you don’t have to sit through a certain class in order to access another one. If you’ve mastered an aspect of higher education on your own, there’s no worrying about credit transfer or placement tests. Just click the video link you’re looking for and learn!
- It’s Interactive – There are web based exercises that you can use as well. While the cornerstone of the Khan Academy process is the huge number of videos available, the exercises help you learn more by actually doing. There are over three hundred of these exercises that include assessment, making it an important way to learn.
- Tutoring – Tutoring and coaching are available as well and are being expanded upon as you read this. By matching peer tutors to students, the chance for learning is enhanced even further and can have a huge impact on your ability to master a subject.
- Quality Videos – The learning videos on Khan Academy are designed to help improve the overall learning process. Instead of a teacher standing and providing a lecture, these videos actually use a black background and the use of quality images to create a kind of visual learning aid that other online education options lack.
- It’s Growing Quickly – Already, more students use Khan Academy to learn than the well-known MIT Open Courseware program. And recent grants are helping to lead it into the future, with many new and exciting changes being planned out over the coming years. Since you can use the Academy whenever you like at no charge, you can be a part of it for years and years to come.