Sociology focuses on human behavior and the way that we interact with one another. Cultural studies, development of different programs aimed at improving society, and other areas of study all fall within the scope of what one with a Masters in Sociology may concentrate on. Many students graduate to work on improving current situations and the future while others focus on the study of the past and sociology through history. Work with other researchers and other professionals is common during specific studies and projects. It’s a hands-on field and only a few programs exist that are available entirely online. However, numerous schools have lifted their GRE requirements and today entry into these programs is usually based on GPA and work experience. The following are some of the best no-GRE programs available.
- Texas State University – The San Marcos campus of the Texas State University school system has recently removed its GRE requirements and now focuses on GPA scores, letters of recommendation, and other criteria for admissions instead. The program provides an in-depth education into the field of sociology and awards an accredited degree that can lead to numerous opportunities after graduation.
- George Washington University – The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences is part of the George Washington University system and is located in Washington DC. It’s also one of the best programs in the country for earning a sociology degree and also offers a BA/MA in Sociology program. No GRE scores are required for entry into the sociology program here.
- Capella University – Capella is one of the few schools offering an entirely online master’s degree in the field. Its MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences degree is highly respected, totally online, and won’t require GRE scores for entry into the program.
- Columbia University – Based in New York City, this school is one of the most well-respected schools in the nation. Its Sociology program features several different concentrations including a Sociology and Education MA. No GRE scores are required for students hoping to enroll in this program.
- Portland State University – Located in Portland, this program does not require GRE scores any longer for those applying to the graduate level sociology programs. Students will earn a degree that is fully accredited and allows for entry into various areas of employment.
- George Mason University – George Mason University is located in the city of Fairfax, Virginia and offers an excellent and fully accredited MA in Sociology program that provides students with all the knowledge needed to enter the field and thrive. It also features no GRE requirements, instead relying on things like GPA scores, professional experience, performance in school, and letters of recommendation in order to determine who gains acceptance into the program.