LinkedIn is simply the best online social media platform that you can join when you’re trying to get the most from your education and build your career. There are millions of people all connected through this platform including teachers, students, employers, and more. One of the best ways to network on LinkedIn is by joining groups. These groups match up users with various subjects or areas of concentration to promote networking and communication within a specific field. It’s the perfect way to make real connections that will help improve your education and your career, but you shouldn’t just join every group out there. Some are better than others. Here’s a look at some of the best.
- New Grad Life – This group actually focuses on helping you get the most out of your profile. It helps with networking advice, profile setup advice, and more. While it’s designed for those who have just graduated and are looking for a career, current students should join it – and all of the groups on this list – earlier so that they can begin honing their profile and planning ahead for when they are ready to get a job.
- Career Central – This group is devoted to helping those who are planning a career change. It’s a great starting point for learning more about your intended new career and for finding out how best to enter it. Like most LinkedIn groups it focuses primarily on connecting employers with recent grads or current students to build a relationship.
- Personal Branding Network – Your personal brand will likely have as much of an impact on your chances of being hired as the degree that you hold. This group lets you learn how to start building that brand early so that by the time you’re finished with your education you’ll have a polished profile that will be certain to attract employers.
- Students and Recent Grads – More than ten thousand members are in this group which focuses on discussion concerning finding a job, building a career, and more. It’s a great place to get advice and to learn more about what others are doing and what employers are actively looking for. You’ll also be able to make some lasting connections.
- LinkedIn HR – This is one of the largest groups on LinkedIn with more than three hundred thousand members. It focuses on discussions concerning current hiring trends, what employers look for, and more. It’s a great place to learn more about how to enhance your profile to get the most from it.
- Indeed – This group is frequently used by hiring professionals looking to recruit new talent, so join it early and keep an eye on it. You’ll learn what employers are looking for and be able to start tweaking your profile to maximize its potential. When you graduate, this is one group you should absolutely be a member of in order to ensure the best chances of being hired on.
- Job and Career Network – Not only is this group a great place to connect with your peers and with employers, but it also features categories that focus on specific job fields. That way you’ll be able to find exactly the type of discussion or opportunity that you’re looking for.
These are only a few of the many groups that LinkedIn offers. If you’re looking for a way to get the most from your education and to get connected with peers and employers quickly, you can’t afford to ignore everything that the site and these groups have to offer. It’s one of the most important tools for your future, hands down.